Master - Seminar - How expensive is security and privacy?
Supervisor: Eva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This seminar is suitable for a group
Depending on how a user wants to secure their data, these steps cost money (e.g., if they decide to use a security key, having a phone that receives security updates, ..).
- Analyze recommendations that are given to end users concerning their security and privacy. What does it need to follow them? Is it, e.g., necessary to buy soft- or hardware?
- Are there areas where a) the free usage comes with a loss of privacy (and/or security) and b) where there would be a paid service offering the same things, but with guaranteed privacy. How expensive would it be to protect your data?
- (If time or more than one person: How well represented are participants with low income in security and privacy studies? Is this a topic they bring up?)
Literatur to start with:
- Recommendations: Ion et al. “…no one can hack my mind”: Comparing Expert and Non-Expert Security Practices. Download from: https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/soups2015/soups15-paper-ion.pdf
- Recommendations: Busse et al. Replication: No One Can Hack My Mind Revisiting a Study on Expert and Non-Expert Security Practices and Advice. Download here: https://www.usenix.org/system/files/soups2019-busse.pdf